Executives, managers, and front-line decision-makers heavily rely on the contents of Workday to make informed decisions. Gaining deeper insight into broader business impacts can require blending Workday data with information from external sources such as your CRM, point of sale, industry-specific systems, legacy data, or even other ERPs.
Workday Prism Analytics Training provides trainees with a full picture of their business by empowering analysts to enrich their analytics in Workday with data from any source. Students would learn how to create data pipelines that blend and transform the data using Prism functions. The prism data source can be secured using the configurable security framework so that it can be published for use in Workday reports. Trainees would also be taught how to perform ad hoc analysis in data discovery. It is essential to opt for Workday HCM Training before learning Prism Analytics.
Prism Analytics paired with Workday’s Report Writer tools gives your organization the ability to:
- Engage, analyze, and act on your data while operating under, providing a common user experience.
- Query large-scale data sets while leveraging Workday’s in-memory and high-performance analytics engine, optimized for performance.
- Define and maintain data transformation pipelines by preparing datasets and tables using the functions of join, union, group-by, and filtering.
- Then prepare and visualize the data using appropriate reporting tools. Build reports using Workday’s Report Writer Tools including Discovery Boards, a newly available intuitive drag-and-drop data visualization tool.
- Extend and simplify analysis and other Workday capabilities using a set of Workday Prism Analytics applications, starting with People Analytics and Accounting Center.
- Leverage rapid deployment services that combine skilled services resources with a set of packaged accelerators based on a set of common use cases.
Steps to implement Prism Analytics
There are 3 key stages to the implementation of the Prism project
1. Identify and Integrate Data
Integrate data from any source including operational transactions, customer data, 3rd party ratings, and more.
- Identify the data needed to create your output and build your datasets. Datasets are point-in-time snapshots of data. You can source them from:
- Report results from an advanced report in Workday.
- A one-time upload from a data file such as one found on someone’s desktop computer.
- Data is pushed through an SFTP secure file transfer. Examples: Historical data from a system being sunsetted, or ongoing scheduled data pushes.
- Data is pulled from an external system using API connectors, often pulling near real-time data. Datasets are housed in your tenant’s Prism data catalog and are managed by your in-house data administrator.
Prepare Your Dataset
- Apply transformations to the data with drag-and-drop user experience Build new computed fields with a rich function library. Preview data preparation to ensure accuracy and streamline pipelines Operationalize data integration and processing by setting up schedules to automatically run at predefined times.
- Cleanse, transform, and map your dataset into Workday structures. Examples: M and F in your external system might equate to Male and Female in Workday. Your accounting data structure needs to be mapped into Workday’s structure as represented by the company, cost center and working.
- Blend multiple datasets or combine them into a single dataset. Here’s where you define data access permissions within Workday’s security structure.
- After applying the security publish the dataset and elevate it to a Prism data source.
Create Data Analysis
Use your Prism dataset with Workday’s reporting tools, discovery boards, and Workday Worksheets to build:
- Discovery board visualizations. Scorecards, KPIs, dashboards, worksheets, and alerts.
- General reports including composite, matrix, and advanced.
- In-context analytics within business processes, on profile groups (Example: Worker profile), and the alert framework.
- Report groups for bursting.
Prism Pipeline Maintenance
The Prism pipeline maintenance has the following updates:
- New pipeline development will validate the security of the Prism Data Catalog.
- Changes to existing schemas will give access to the data catalog and datasets governed by Workday’s configurable security.
- As credentials change it is necessary to have periodic password changes and constant upgradation of connections
- Prism schedules compete for resources with other scheduled processes such as integrations, payroll, accounting, etc. daily.
- Annually or as needed all integration schedules must be updated periodically to prevent expiration.
- Monthly monitor your data usage by evaluating the number of rows published against the data entitlements granted in your Workday contract.
- WD Release cycle will help identify field-level errors on the Prism Ingest report, update affected pipelines and verify fields are correctly propagating.
Prism Analytics 2023 Roadmap
What’s New in Finance and HR Data Hub
- Data Change Tasks: Load Tables from Custom Reports and SFTP
- Direct Table Query
- Expanded WQL, Public APIs v3
- Intelligent Pipelines: Stage-Level Recommendations
- Improved Experience: Field reordering, Custom Data Samples
Integration – What’s Next
- Native Connectors to leading sources of external data.
- REST API connector for other SaaS data sources
- Connector SDK to extend connectivity to custom data sources
- Bi-directional connectivity to support ingest and extract use cases
Connect, Integrate & 2023R1: Data Change Task Enhancement
Transform Ingest data from Custom Reports with Static and Dynamic Prompts into Tables through Data Change
Seamlessly connect your existing systems with Prism without the need for any custom coding.
New Explode transformation to split multi-instance & String fields to separate rows in Prism.
Extract large volumes of Prism data in CSV by calling API.
Load extracted Prism data to downstream Data Warehouses, Data Lakes, and Reporting & Analytics tools for Disclosure & Statutory Reporting, Regulatory Archival, Audit Requests, and Enterprise-wide Analytics and Data Science Use Cases.
Ensure Data Governance and Security with role-based permissions integrated with the existing Workday security model.
Governed Self-Service – What’s New
- The reportable data source for Prism metadata.
- Unified Process Monitor
Governed Self-Service – What’s Next
- Workspaces Container for Prism artifacts to enable Self-Service development while ensuring Security and Governance.
- Improved Experience: Filters & faster page loads on Data Catalog Activities Page.
- The reportable data source for Prism publishes activities.
- Prism Admin Dashboard Admin console to Monitor, Manage, and Prioritize Prism jobs.
These upgrades and enhancements are once again proof that Workday and its modules constantly reinvent themselves. It is highly recommended that anyone who aspires to have a successful career in Workday keep themselves abreast, by getting a near to perfect online training on all Workday modules from an expert trainer with vast industry experience.